Orange County Parenting Education in Spanish
“Survival Skills for Healthy Families” is a Family Wellness program that is quickly learned and easily adapted. It has proven to be effective in a variety of communities, cultures, and languages. It is currently used for effective prevention and intervention in the areas of domestic violence, drug, alcohol, and child abuse.
Parenting Course Overview:
The basic “Survival Skills for Healthy Families” course is a 12-hour Family Wellness program presented to large groups of families and individuals in a series of six two-hour sessions. Below are the core topics covered in the Curriculum:
- Parents in Healthy Families
- Children in Healthy Families
- Adult Relationships-Couples in Healthy Families
- As Children Grow-Change in Healthy Families
- Solving Family Problems
- Sex, Drugs, and You-Passing on Your Values to Your Children
Each session is organized around practical guidelines for healthy family interactions which are demonstrated and then practiced with the participants.
Is the “Survival Skills for Healthy Families” course effective and will it help me?
Without question, the course is a proven model for teaching skills, enhancing healthy family interactions, improving family relationships, and contributing to your community. Over 10,000 trained instructors have presented this course to over 1,000,000 families in the past 21 years.
12 Key Benefits:
- Structured: Provides focus and skills for counselors and agency personnel.
- Proactive Prevention and Problem Solving: Stops problems before they start.
- Supportive: Provides solutions for families dealing with the stresses of drugs and violence in the community.
- Organized: Easily implemented by targeted families and communities.
- Relational: Focused on helping parents to work as a team in managing their children while strengthening their relationship.
- Authorized: Meets legal and program requirements for court-ordered abuse cases (spousal, child, and drug/alcohol abuse).
- Effective: Provides parents real skills and support for training their children.
- Personal Development: Provides adults personal development skills for managing their own lives and building health in their families.
- Universal: Trains counselors, teachers, clergy, and support personnel who have the credibility in their particular community or setting to provide the skills on site.
- Interactive: Provides a framework for interactive learning and skill building through role-playing scenarios.
- Sustainable: Gives counselors, clergy, agency staff, and school personnel best practices that are sustainable to work effectively with difficult youths and challenging family situations.
- Advantageous: Benefits local Law Enforcement (as indicated in San Jose) by lowering truancy and burglary in gang-infested neighborhoods resulting from stronger families where children are managed by educated and caring parents.
Family Wellness course, which was developed in 1980, represents two major values:
- First: Families need new tools and support to handle the ongoing challenges in our society.
- Second: Translate the knowledge and skills of family therapy into a readily available program that is effective in helping families.
History of Family Wellness:
Developed in 1980 by Virginia Scott and George Doub, the “Survival Skills” course originally was presented in various rural and urban settings using schools and community sites throughout Santa Cruz and Santa Clara counties in California. One of the first series was presented in Spanish and English in Watsonville, CA. Some of these first courses were targeted for teen parents in high schools, Spanish speaking groups, and at-risk families in East San Jose.
If you want to improve your parenting skills or have questions regarding our parenting courses in Spanish, please contact the Orange County family counselors at ALMA Family Care Center. We will meet with you in person or provide you with information regarding our upcoming parenting workshops in Orange County.
Free Parental Support for Hispanics
ALMA FCC is supported by donors who care about you and your family so contact Jorge Herrera for a free consultation at 714.381.3007